Main content | back to top
Residency Support Program
This year, we will start a new program of “Shell Art Award Residency Support Program” to continuously support the career of the past winners and nominees. This program aims at developing their career by creating excitements and awareness through cultural exchanges with artists abroad. We will provide a two-month stay for production at Cité internationale des arts located in Paris, France.
- Cité internationale des arts
18 rue de l'Hôtel de Ville, 75004 Paris France
Cité internationale des arts WEB site
- Check in: 2nd November 2018 (Friday)
Check out: 27th December 2018 (Thursday) It will be an approximate two-month stay.
- One person
Nominees and Winners awarded between Shell Art Award 2008-2017 who;
- has no problem with outlined schedule in application process and stay in France
- is above the age of 20 and below 40 with a strong ambition to develop his/her career in this program
- can speak in English or French enough to communicate well with our staff and artists from other countries.
- has more than three years' experience of production and exhibition in visual arts
- can hold an open-studio at the end of the stay
- can engage in production in good health
- 【Award Program】
- ①Expenses for a flight ticket
(limited to the amount equal to a round-trip economy class ticket from Tokyo to Paris)
- ②1,000 yen × days of stay
- ③A studio-flat(including wifi & museum pass in Paris)
- ①Expenses for a flight ticket
- Deadline is due 16th May 2018 (Wednesday) and application starts from 26th April (Thursday).
【We have stopped accepting applications for this year.】
- You can download application forms from below.
An application form must arrive by 16th May 2018 via mail.
- 【Selection Schedule】
- ①1st Screening of resume: Late May 2018
- ②2nd Screening including a face-to-face interview or a Skype interview: Early-Mid June 2018
- ③Final screening: Late June 2018
- ④Result: Early July 2018
Introduction of the first residency artist
- Natsuki Oshiro
1985 Born in Tokyo, Japan.（Currently located in Kawasaki.）
2008 BA, in Literature, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan
2012 MFA, in Fine Arts, Tokyo Zokei University, Tokyo, Japan
＜Solo Exhibition・Group Exhibition＞
- ART FAIR “3331 ART FAIR 2018” Arts Chiyoda 3331,Tokyo
- “Forming Constellations” ART TRACE Gallery,Tokyo
- Solo Exhibition “ossis”CLOUDS ART,Tokyo
- “ASYAAF2017” Soul DDP,Korea
- “OPEN TIME” ART TRACE Gallery,Tokyo
- ART PROJECT “Asagaya Art Street 2017” Suginami ward office gallery,Tokyo
- Solo Exhibition “pianissimo” Art Trace Gallery,Tokyo
- “The Selection of Holbein Scholarship Vol.3” REIJINSYAGallery,Tokyo
- ART FAIR “Sapporo Art Fair 2016” Cross Hotel Sapporo,Hokkaido
2017 Nominated for Shell Art Award 2017,Showa Shell Sekiyu corporation,Tokyo
2015 Nominated for Tokyo Wonder Seed 2015,Tokyo
2014 Nominated for Mitsubishi Corporation Art Gate Program,Tokyo
2011 Holbein Scholarship
Natsuki Oshiro's Residency Report
Artist-in-Residence program of Natsuki Oshiro in the Cite internationale des arts began on 2nd November.
We will post Residency Reports from Natsuki Oshiro.
Residency Report 02
Residency Report 03
Residency Report 04
Residency Report 05
Cité Internationale des Arts is a residency center founded in 1965 and located in the Marais area in central Paris along Seine river. Now they manage more than 320 studio-flats, welcoming and supporting artists from over 100 countries. Their fields vary from visual arts to music, video, dance, novel, etc. There is no age limit but he/she has to be an adult. What makes this residence so special is that a lot of people come from different backgrounds and countries, fueling each other through many cultural events. Cité Internationale des Arts provides a studio-flat (approx. 20 square meters) where you can organize “open studios” and cultural exchanges with resident artists and visitors. A new resident has an opportunity to introduce his/herself in the monthly group dinner. Cité Internationale des Arts also has shops, galleries, corridors and auditoriums.
A building of Cité Internationale des Arts
The place is very near Pont Marie Station of METRO #7
Cité Internationale des Arts General Director Bénédicte ALLIOT
Experience at Cité internationale des arts will be your key step in your career as an artist. This step of artists has been also the core of our activities since its foundation of 1965. Today, we are very pleased to pursue a good relationship with Japan and invite an artist through the partnership with Shell Art Award.
This new partnership was made to give chance for a Japanese artist to join our community that vibrates the Cité international des arts.
Cité internationale des arts has welcomed artists from various fields and all over the world to total 326 flat-studios located in the center of Paris ever since its establishment. Cité internationale des arts is an outstanding artist-in-residence both nationally and internationally in terms of the number of artists we have ever invited (22,000 people in total), the ideal location as the center of Paris, and the engagement to put artists themselves at the heart of projects.
Becoming a resident at Cité internationale des arts is to get a special opportunity to develop projects related to France and immerse yourself in the bubbled environment among creative 300 artists from all over the world.
From the above reasons, I hope all of you would join this new collaboration between France and Japan, Cité internationale des arts and Shell Art Award.
Looking forward to seeing you soon.